The Pompano Beach Air Park is located in the heart of the Gold Coast serves the general aviation needs of Broward County.
This air transportation facility is owned and operated by the City of Pompano Beach.
The airport provides a multitude of general aviation services including: flight training, aircraft rental, air taxi/charter, scenic rides, air ambulance, aerial photography, mapping and surveying, search & rescue, storage hangers, aircraft sales, maintenance, avionics repairs and ramp services (aircraft fueling, tiedowns, catering, etc.)
The available aircraft storage offered by FBOs at Pompano Beach Air Park includes T-hangers and apron tie-downs. In the winter months the Air Park is the base for approximately 235 general aviation aircraft, 10 rotor craft, and 1 airship (blimp). The general aviation aircraft consist mostly single-engine pistons, twin turboprops, and twin pistons; there are no general aviation business jets currently based at the Air Park.
The City of Pompano Beach, owner and operator of Pompano Beach Air Park, is concerned with the impact of aircraft operations over sensitive residential areas. Pilot in Command (PIC) cooperation in adhering to guidelines and procedures is critical in minimizing this impact. Take a look at our guidelines.
Goodyear leases approximately 32.5 acres from the Air Park as a blimp base on the west side of the Air Park. The blimp hangar, which is 45,000 square feet in size, is the largest building at the Air Park. The hanger is large enough to store two fully-inflated blimps. Goodyear has also constructed a 3,500 square foot operations / administration building on its lease parcel. To learn about the Goodyear Blimp, we invite you to visit Goodyear Online or call 954.946.8300.
Fixed Base Operations (FBOs) provide a wide range of services at the Air Park. These services include:
Pompano Beach Airport was constructed during World War II as a satellite training field serving the Naval Air Station located at what is now Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport.
On August 29, 1947, the City of Pompano Beach obtained the Airport under the Surplus Property Act of 1944 and renamed it Pompano Beach Air Park, due to its intent to limit the airport's usage to general aviation.
For the same reason, the City shortened Runway 15-33 from its original length of 5,000 feet to its current length of 4,420 feet in 1971.
Additional lands surrounding the Air Park, including land along Copans Road and the Florida East Coast Railway tracks to the west of the Air Park, were transferred to the City on June 24, 1948, bringing the total acreage at the Air Park to 1,035 acres. On August 5, 1958, 10 acres of Air Park property were released to Broward County School Board for the construction of Pompano Beach Elementary School. The County received 9 more acres on September 18, 1967. On March 8, 1958, the City sold 60 acres, located in the northeast corner of the Air Park Property, for development of the Pompano Square Mall. The final transfer of Air Park property occurred in 1981 when 10 acres in the southwestern section of the Air Park Property were purchased by the Pompano Elks Club. These transfers account for the current total 946 acres of the Air Park.
Pompano Beach Air Park is owned by the City of Pompano Beach. The Air Park is a Surplus Property Act airport; the Surplus Property Act of 1944 states that any lands conveyed under the act must be used for aviation purposes or ownership reverts back to the FAA. The FAA can, however, release excess portions of the property for non-aviation purposes; any proceeds from the sale of excess property must be used to support airport growth and development under the stipulations of the Surplus Property Act.